Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Yours, Mine, and Ours .. I WANT HALF!


Been a few days since I last posted, and it seems the blog has tumbleweeds wandering through it. Not sure if I am not getting good enough discussion questions, or perhaps they are too hard or demanding?

Anyway, this is one of my favorites. I just love the idea behind the caption, and I wish someone like Belladonna would take it and make a full fledged story out of it. Who says there can't be a Divorces R' Us around to help out couples looking to split their assets/ Here is what I wrote around the time the caption was posted:
99 percent of the time I have the pictures 1st, then write stories for them later. I try to save pictures for people that I think they'd go well with, and considering some of the preferences of Ron, I had this one saved for awhile before I came up with the plot above. I was chatting with a friend online that has been having marital issues AND was looking at this picture at the same time, and VIOLA! I've got a foundation for a caption!
Of course, the whole Eddie Murphy routine, "HALF! I WANT HALF!" was going through my mind when I wrote this.


I hope everyone has a wonderful Turkey Day and Black Friday afterwards, and that you and your family is safe, secure, and out of harm's way.

DISCUSSION QUESTION: I know its come up before, but what do you think the perfect width for a caption should be? I'm wondering because I was at 850 as a max for a long time, due to the Haven restrictions, but its since been lifted. I'm thinking that most people have widescreen monitors by now. What is your screen resolution set to, and should I increase mine to 1024 pixels or so? Also, feel free to comment on the captions!

5 comments:

  1. love the pic!
    my screen is 1280x1024

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dee... sorry I haven't been posting lately. Being in a less 'Caitlyn' mood lately along with school absolutely kicking my ass has left me with less time and desire to do my normal blog readings.

    So first, great cap. I don't think I've seen many (or any) caps with the SRU wizard out of his store. But a traveling DRU wizard would be a wonderful idea. Maybe he can become the 'Mike Rowe' of TG caps... different job each week... and always Dirty!

    As to the width... I try to stay at 1000 pixels or less. If I have to resize a vertical cap, I leave that as my max. Horizontal caps... well I as much as I try to avoid them, I do let them go out to 1300 sometimes. I hate to do it, as I dislike scrolling back and forth as the next girl. But looking at the Google Analytics information from my blog for the top screen resolutions:

    1280x800 is 14%
    1366x768 is 12%
    1440x900 is 10%
    1024x768 is 10%
    1920x1080 is 9%

    So by that measuring stick going 1000 pixels wide isn't a bad idea. The hard part for me is that my home resolution is 1920x1200. So even a 1000 pixel wide cap looks small on my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to stick to 1000-1100 for my caption size. It can be difficult to keep them that size but it works so far for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally use 612 x 792, but I'm not tied down to that size. I let the caption just breath if it need's more room. But lately I have been doing quite a few caps in 700 x 1000.

    My monitor setting is 1440 x 900 if that helps any. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it seems that those commenting have screens that are at least 1000 pixels across. I've tended to shrink down the larger pictures to make sure that I hit 850 width total, so that the pictures themselves were usually 500 wide or less.

    I'm not sure if I went up to 1k for pixels and say 600 pixels for picture width .. how much taller the captions would be? From Caitlyn's analytics, it seems that at least 36 percent of the screens are 800 pixels or less. I'll have to see where that leaves me each time I create, and then decide to use either 850 or 1000 pixels.

    @ Caitlyn

    I haven't used it in awhile, but there was an add-on in Firefox that let you zoom in on a picture (aka make it larger on the screen) with a right click. The resolution was still very good. I can't remember the name of is because that was a few firefox updates ago.

    For the record, I'm one of those 1920 x 1080 people .. though when I write music, I kick up the 2nd monitor.

    ReplyDelete